- Monthly average prices for crude oil fell in all sales categories during August. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price declined $4.45 (6.3%) to $65.67 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil decreased $3.71 (5.7%) to $61.81per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil fell $3.89 (5.7%) to $64.01 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil dropped $4.01 (5.5%) to $69.27 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil declined $4.32 (6.2%) to $65.56 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil fell $4.15 (5.8%) to $67.82 per barrel.
- The August monthly average price for refiner wholesale sales of motor gasoline decreased 3.5 cents to $2.302 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline declined in August. Total refiner motor gasoline sales fell 4.0 million gallons per day (1.3%) to an average of 313.4 million gallons per day. DTW sales accounted for 7.0% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 90.8% and 2.2%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates declined in August. The monthly average retail price for No. 2 diesel fuel dropped 1.6 cents to $2.266 per gallon, while the average wholesale price fell 3.5 cents to $2.147 per gallon. The average retail price for sales of No. 2 fuel oil fell 11.0 cents to $2.395, while the average wholesale price decreased 4.9 cents to $1.882 per gallon.
- August refiner wholesale sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel climbed 3.5 million gallons per day (2.4%) to 149.3 million gallons per day.
Residual fuel oil
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of residual fuel oil decreased in August. The average retail price for residual fuel oil fell 6.8 cents to $1.901 per gallon, while the average wholesale price declined 4.2 cents to $1.776 per gallon.
- Total refiner residual fuel oil sales rose 1.0 million gallons per day to 6.9 million gallons per day (16.9%) in August. Retail sales increased 200,000 gallons per day (11.1%), while wholesale sales climbed 800,000 gallons per day (19.5%).
- Prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products show mixed trends during August. Propane prices increased in both the retail and wholesale categories, while prices for kerosene-type jet fuel show the opposite trend. No. 1 distillate prices increased at retail but fell at wholesale, while prices for aviation gasoline and kerosene fell at the wholesale level.
- Refiner sales of these products varied in August. Sales of kerosene-type jet fuel and No. 1 distillate increased at both the retail and wholesale levels, while propane sales fell at retail but rose at wholesale Aviation gasoline sales decreased at wholesale, while kerosene sales increased in the same category.